The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) propose evidence based interventions using a new nursing care delivery model that will reduce costs and improve the quality and safety of healthcare in the organization (CO1, CO3 & CO4), and (b) engage in scholarly inquiry and communication (CO5)
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to do the following.
(CO1) Evaluate and develop organizational strategic plans (SP) in relation to patient safety, economic and quality outcomes of healthcare organizations and systems. (PO1)
(CO3) Appraise the effects of strategies to reduce costs and improve the quality and safety of healthcare. (PO1 & PO4)
(CO4) Organize legal and regulatory components of healthcare strategies to promote safety and quality care. (PO1 & PO4)
(CO5) Synthesize and communicate research findings to promote quality improvement and safety in healthcare. (PO1 & PO4)
You are the nurse executive of Ocracoke Regional Healthcare System. Due to increasing healthcare costs over the past two years, the board and stakeholders have determined the total-patient-care nursing model is no longer sustainable and must be changed. In addition, Joint Commission has just completed their visit. Ocracoke received two recommendations for improvement in two of most current National Patient Safety Goals found at the link below.
National Patient Safety Goals-The Joint Commission https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/national-patient-safety-goals/
You must address these recommendations using a new nursing care delivery model. Senior leadership expects to see increased cost savings through the use of this new model and improved outcomes related to two patient safety goals (you may choose any two patient safety goals you want to improve on by the time of the Joint Commission’s revisit in six(6) months.
For this assignment you will:
Complete the scenario by selecting and defining two National Patient Safety Goals and their deficiencies noted by The Joint Commission. You will identify the outcome measures used to assess them and the goals for improving these outcomes by implementing the new nursing care delivery model. You will describe the nursing care delivery model proposed, how it impacts the deficiencies in the safety goals chosen, and its economic impact on the organization.
Based on all the information gathered through your exploration you will create the PICOT question for this evidence-based improvement. This will be included as a statement in the Overview of Issue section of the assignment.
At the Ocracoke Regional Healthcare System (P), will implement a _____________ nursing care delivery system (I), compared to the current total care nursing care delivery system (C), result is compliance with the Joint Commission’s recommendations (O) at their revisit in 6 months (T).
(See example below for review in writing a PICOT)
- Use the following format and headings to organize your assignment
- Statement of purpose of paper
- Overview of components of paper
- Overview of Issue
- National Patient Safety Goals identified
- New Nursing Care Delivery Model identified
- Final PICOT stated
- National Patient Safety Goals
- Safety goals and deficiencies identified
- Outcome measures defined
- New Nursing Model
- Description of new nursing care delivery model
- Impact of model in addressing the safety goals
- Impact of model on reducing organizational costs
- Recap of paper’s purpose
- Summary of what was accomplished
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly sources, no older than 5 years must be used for the paper. These should be relevant to nursing and should represent the majority of evidence provided in the paper. Other sources may be used in addition to these; however, they will not be counted as part of the scholarly source requirement.
- The paper should contain all elements required under the guidelines and provided by the outline.
- The outline provided should be followed for organizing the paper. Only level one headings are required. Remember, the introduction does not have a heading.
- A maximum of four (4) pages, excluding title and reference pages, is required.
- The paper should be written in third person, active voice. Refer to “Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers in Graduate Programs” found in the Student Resources Central of the course.
- Refer to rubric for paper mechanics
For guidance in writing a PICOT statement refer to the following. There is also an instructional webinar in the course announcement that can offer further guidance if needed.
PICOT Writing Review
Sunnybrook Health System has started the process for acquiring Magnet status. They have scheduled multiple planning and process meetings over the next year that require attendance of all staff. Staff must attend at least 70% of the meetings live. After three meetings, live attendance of night shift staff has been about 5%. There is concern that with the small amount of interest shown from this group, the benchmark of 70% for live attendance may be jeopardized. Currently, the meeting schedule is communicated to all staff via email and posted announcements. Suzie thinks an incentive of a free meal for live attendance might improve attendance of the night shift crew.
How could a PICOT be developed with this information?
P = Population – Describes the group upon which the intervention will have an effect.
Ex: night shift staff
I = Intervention – What we want to do that is different from what we currently do; the thing that is going
to impact the population identified
Ex. coupons for a free meal in the cafeteria
C = Comparison – Here the comparison is a before and after the intervention (incentive in this case)
Ex: communication of scheduled meetings via email and posted announcements
O = Outcome – What we want to see happen as a result of the intervention. The outcome should meet three criteria: direction (increase, decrease, etc.), a baseline, and a goal.
Ex: increased mandatory meeting live attendance from 5% to 50%
T = Timing or Timeframe – When we expect to see the outcomes.
Ex: over the next 4 meetings
Now you can create the PICOT:
Among night shift staff (P), will offering a coupon for a free meal in the cafeteria (I), as opposed to only email invitations and posted announcements (C), increase mandatory meeting live attendance from 5% to 50% (O) over the next 4 meetings (T)?