LITERATURE REVIEW: THE ROLE OF ASSESSMENT IN CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
For this assignment you will write a literature review focused on the role of
assessment in improving curriculum and instruction.
(James Popham views formative assessment & Rick Wormeli opinion on
formative and summative assessment)
Write a 3 page literature review in which you do the following:
● Analyze the purpose of assessments using assessment theory.
● Explain validity, reliability, fairness, and equity in relationship to
assessment design and choice.
○ Analyze why each are important to consider when selecting
○ Support your analysis with references and examples.
● List examples of five classroom assessments in use today. Include at least
one each from the national, state, and local levels. You might want to also
include one you use in your setting.
○ Describe the type of data generated by each assessment.
○ Assess how data from each assessment supports the various
purposes of assessment.
● Describe how formative assessment data can be used in the improvement
of curriculum, instruction and student learning.
● Support your analysis with evidence and examples.
Use the following outline to organize your paper:
● A cover page with a title, your name, and contact information, including
your e-mail address.
● The Purpose of Assessment.
● Validity, Reliability, Fairness, and Equity.
● Assessment from the national to the local level.
● The role of assessment in improving curriculum and instruction.
● References: Your Reference list should include your assigned readings
and a minimum of two additional articles relating to the topic of your paper.
Remember that each reference listed at the end of your paper should have
at least one corresponding citation within the body of your paper.
● Adhere to APA guidelines when writing your literature review, including
format and citations. It is important that you carefully cite all sources and
include them in your reference list. Any direct quotes must be in quotation
marks with the page number indicated. Use the APA resources listed for
additional formatting tips.