- LENGTH: 450 – 500 words
- SPACING: 2.0
- FONT SIZE: 12
- FONT: Times New Roman, Cambria, Arial, Helvetica, Calibri, or something similar
- TITLE have a good descriptive title; a title builds the foundation of your essay.
- IN-TEXT CITATIONS: cite your sources within your text (pro tip: use in-text citations beyond just quotes)
- ESSAY FORMAT: must include an intro, a body, and a conclusion; the intro and the conclusion can be a paragraph with a minimum two sentences each.
- APA FORMAT: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html
- Abstracts are not needed for this assignment.
- Links to an external site.
- SOURCES: have at least 3-4 sources
- REFERENCE: include a properly cited reference page. Sources need to be reputable. Useful resources:
How has California’s historical policies shaped current day California? What current impacts does the policy have on our society? The focus of the paper should be on the impact of the policy and not policy itself such as an in-depth history and a timeline of the policy.
- Pick one policy that impacted California (example policies: Prop 13, Prop 4, Prop 209, Chinese Exclusion Act, etc.).
- You can also look into the following topics (see table below) and find a policy related to these topics. How did that policy impact California in that sector currently?
- The policy you pick should be older than 5 years where its impacts can be noticed.
- Try to pick a policy governed by the state of California. You can pick a federal policy, but you need to show how it directly impacted California.
Elements to include and consider for the paper:
- Include your sources (a minimum of 3-4 sources) and always support your claims.
- Use credible sources: reputable newspaper articles, city/county website, journal article, books, etc.
- Limit yourself to using only one quote if you do include one, page (or paragraph) number is a must when using a quote for the in-text citation
Structure of the paper (this is just an example):
- Introduce the issue you chose to focus on and give an overview on what will be discussed in the following paragraphs.
- Write a brief history (year it passed and why it became a policy) the of the policy you picked and the immediate outcomes of the policy.
- What are the current implications of the policy? For Californians, the state and its different regions, society, how it shaped current day geographies, etc.
- Another major theme of the current day policy implications.
- Concluding thoughts and summarize the main takeaways from the paper.
Why are we doing this? And, what personal benefit will you get?
- To learn the impact that policies have on our lives.
- To discover how policies have shaped California.