AACN COMPETENCIES AND THE WALDEN MISSION, VISION, AND OUTCOMES
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) set forth a set of standards, the DNP Essentials, that define the foundational competencies that should be acquired and focused throughout a DNP degree program’s curriculum. Additionally, the DNP Essentials represent those competencies and areas that will inform your areas of practice as a DNP-prepared nurse. Take special note that in addition to your personal and academic motivations for pursuing a DNP degree, you will be required to demonstrate and enact these essentials in your daily practice.
For this Assignment, review the AACN DNP Essentials document and reflect on the competencies presented. Reflect on your personal and academic goals and consider how those goals align with both Walden University’s mission and vision and with the AACN DNP Essentials. Reflect on the social determinants of health framework and consider how your academic and professional goals might align with addressing these elements as a DNP-prepared nurse.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2020). Fact sheet: The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP).Links to an external site. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Factsheets/DNP-Factsheet.pdf
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2015). The Doctor of Nursing Practice: Current issues and clarifying recommendations. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/White-Papers/DNP-Implementation-TF-Report-8-15.pdfDownload DNP-Implementation-TF-Report-8-15.pdf
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/Publications/DNPEssentials.pdfDownload DNPEssentials.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). Social determinants of health: Know what affects health.Links to an external site. https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/index.htm
- Read, C. Y., Pino Betancourt, D. M., & Morrison, C. (2016). Social change: A framework for inclusive leadership: Development in nursing education.Links to an external site.Journal of Nursing Education, 55(3), 164–167. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20160216-08
- Walden University. (2022). Social determinants of health: Understanding vision health equity.Links to an external site. https://www.waldenu.edu/online-masters-programs/master-of-science-in-nursing/resource/social-determinants-of-health-understanding-vision-health-equity
- Walden University. (n.d.). Walden catalog.Links to an external site.https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/catalog/home
- Review the “Introduction” to the Walden Catalog, noting in particular the “Vision, Mission, and Goals” section of the Walden University Catalog.
- Review The Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice (AACN, 2006) in this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the competencies presented.
- Review Walden University’s mission, vision, and university outcomes.
- Reflect on your professional and academic goals. Consider how Walden’s mission and vision as well as the AACN’s perspective may fit with your goals. How might you incorporate a commitment to social change into your academic and professional plans?
- How might your academic and professional goals align with addressing the social determinants of health?