Select the two cases presented below and prepare a three-page written analysis of each case (six pages total). These case studies provide real-world application to concepts you have studied during this course.
Course Textbook reference: Gwartney, J. D., Stroup, R. L., Sobel, R. S., & Macpherson, D. A. (2018). Macroeconomics: Private and public choice. Cengage.
Case 1: Government Spending and Taxation
Read Special Topic 1, pages 404 through 418 of Macroeconomics: Private and Public Choice. You may also want to review Chapters 5 and 6 as the role of the government and the political process were covered in detail.
Using the Government Spending and Taxation case, Chapters 5 and 6, the knowledge you have gained in this course, as well as at least three additional credible resources, analyze the case by addressing the following:
- Describe how government spending and the composition of the government changed in recent decades. In other words, in what areas has the government cut spending and in what areas has the government increased spending in recent decades?
- Determine if this change in government spending and composition will help Americans achieve a higher living standard. Be sure to support all opinions with research.
- Assess if democracy can survive if the majority of the U.S. citizens pay little or nothing in taxes while benefiting directly from a higher level of government spending. Why or why not?
- Propose the composition of government, government spending, and taxation that you believe would work best. Be sure to be specific and support your proposal with research.
Case 2: The Economics of Social Security
Read the Special Topic 2, pages 419 through 428 of Macroeconomics: Private and Public Choice.
Using the Economics of Social Security case, the knowledge you have gained in this course, as well as at least three additional credible resources, analyze the case by addressing the following:
- Explain how the Social Security system’s basic principles are different from private insurance.
- Determine how Social Security affects the economic well-being of blacks, relative to whites and Hispanics.
- Assess if the current Social Security system promotes income equality. Why or why not?
- Propose how the Social Security system could be modernized to ensure long-term solvency and fairness in distribution. Be specific and support your proposal with research.
Your Cases: Applying Economics to the Real World final project
- Must be five to six double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style.
- . Each chosen case should be covered in approximately three pages for a total paper of six pages.
- Must use at least three credible sources in addition to the course text for each case.
- Avoid over-dependence on direct quotes. Direct quotes are a great way to strengthen our assertions and provide support. However, be sure to avoid using excessive direct quotes in lieu of original thought. Direct quotes will not meet the requirement for analysis, application, and critical thinking. Please ensure to not overuse direct quote so that you can avoid losing points for this.