Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Entrepreneurs in the Age of Covid: Q&A With America’s Leading Startup Thinker, Carl Schramm
Carl Schramm is America’s leading startup thinker, and the author of numerous op-ed pieces in the Wall Street Journal and Foreign Affairs. He has authored many books, including his most recent, Burn the Business Plan. Carl is the former president of Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the country’s leading philanthropic group studying entrepreneurship. Today, Carl is a professor at Syracuse University (Karlgaard, 2020a).
First, read the entire discussion before you begin. Next, read Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns text. Finally, read the interview with Carl Schramm, Entrepreneurs in the Age of Covid: Q&A With America’s Leading Startup Thinker, Carl SchrammLinks to an external site., and answer the following questions:
- Carl Schramm introduces the concept of an “accidental entrepreneur.” Which variables impact this phenomenon?
- Rich Karlgaard asked Carl Schramm why entrepreneurship and small business growth is so important to the health of an economy. Based on the answer Schramm provided and one more outside source, please address Karlgaard’s question.
- What is “blitz scale” thinking and what are some of the faults of this view?
- Schramm advocates “burning the business plan” in his lectures. Why do you think he describes it that way?
- In addition, both Karlgaard and Schramm advocate abandonment of the conventional approach to education based on testing and Ivy League schooling, which hinders instead of promotes entrepreneurial spirit. What is your opinion of Schramm’s uncommon approach?
- Finally, how have your readings in your textbook the Dhandho Investor influenced how you critique the information in the interview?
Guided Response: Your initial response should be a minimum of 200 words.
Karlgaard, R. (2020a, June 4). Entrepreneurs in the age of Covid: Q&A with America’s leading startup thinker, Carl SchrammLinks to an external site.. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/richkarlgaard/2020/06/04/entrepreneurs-in-the-age-of-covid-qa-with-americas-leading-startup-thinker-carl-schramm/?sh=cc5ac4841a8a